Well, we are almost packed for our 15 day amazing adventure to Africa! This has been a lifelong dream of mine to fulfill, or as my dear friend and life coach Chere terms it, part of my "FABD" Fully Alive Before I Die list!
I've dreamed of going on an African safari since my childhood 4-H public speaking days when I would act out what it woud be like. Through my Rotary district 5950, I recently learned of a world community service trip Rotarians were going to take to to East Africa for 2 weeks, and I was most intrigued. After much discussion, with a very supportive husband by my side and generous agreement from my parents to take care of our dear girls while we were away, Chris and I leapt at the opportunity!
We will be in Nairobi, Kenya the first 5 days, going to 4 Rotary clubs and visiting the various sanitation health projects our Rotary district has funded in the Mathare Valley slum http://www.matharevalley.org/about_mathare_valley.htm, the largest slum of over 750,000 people in Africa. Although it will be sad and humbling to see how some people barely survive to live, I believe it is important to see all aspects of life and not hide from the truth, and hopefully we can make a small, positive impact.
After our time in Nairobi Chris and I will part from the group to do a “fly-in” safari for 3 days in the heart of the Masai Mara, which is Kenya’s Serengeti. Can you believe once we fly in a small plane to a gravel dirt air strip, we will travel by boat to a watering hole area where our tented camp, Little Governor’s http://www.governorscamp.com/property_descriptions_governors_camp_little_governors_home.php , is located? We will be guarded by people who work there, but there are no fences, gates, etc. and one can typically see an elephant walking through camp over lunch, or hippos taking a bath at the nearby watering hole. It really is unimaginable! Although we are staying in "tents" I have been assured they will have all the comforts of "home", as we know I'm not known for the camping-type vacations. We will do a walking safari one morning, but mostly safaris in a 4x4 vehicle for many explorations and adventures.
After our safari time, we will fly on to Arusha, Tanzania, to volunteer with our Rotary group at Peace House Africa http://www.peacehouseafrica.org/ This is an AIDS orphanage and school for approx. 300 boys ages 13-18 who have lost their parents to AIDS. We will volunteer during school hours, and also take a side trip to tour Arusha National Park http://www.tanzaniaparks.com/arusha.html and hopefully see Mt. Kilimanjaro if the cloud coverage is clear!
Finally, after our time with our Rotary group has ended, we will fly to Dubai for 3 nights and 2 days of exploration. It will be very interesting to visit the mosque, various interesting architecture, gold and spice sauks, swim in th Arabian sea, eat a traditional Middle Eastern meal, and finally, long for life back home in Minnesota.
Until we write again from another continent, peace, love and blessings to you all-
Chris and Jane

No comments:
Post a Comment