

Good morning friends! Chris and I have arrived at Mt. Kilimanjaro airport Wednesday morning, where we will fly back to Nairobi and onward to Dubai today. After seeing our flight was "cancelled", but then assured by Tanzanian airport security it's a mistake and they'll change it soon (hopefully?!), I saw a few computers available for free to passengers. I leapt at the chance, since I've gained a whole new appreciation of accessible and "fast" internet access here!
We have had a fascinating time in Tanzania, and again like previous experiences on this trip, it's the interaction and conversations with people which have been most fulfilling. Most of our time was spent at Peace House Africa www.peacehouseafrica.org/, a secondary co-ed boarding school for 254 AIDS orphans and the most disadvantaged poor children in this country. We had the pleasure of spending Sunday night devotions with the kids, where our leader Tim Murphy led a brief sermon, and asked Chris (2nd picture) to recite the Rotary 4-way test to the children. (It is beyond adorable to see this story unfold.) We also had the honor of having dinner with the school head mistress Theo and her husband Victor, 1st picture. I will share further details of what an inspiration this woman is to so many disadvantaged girls in particular who may be come to school with very little hope or dreams. It's a beautiful transformation indeed. We also were part of the school's weekly flag ceremony Monday morning where the kids march and sing their national anthem as the flag is raised for the week. Each of the visitors were given the chance to introduce ourselves and share a little bit. As I could sense that our English may be hard for some to understand, I decided to try to unite everyone in song with the song "We Are Marching In The Light Of God", which I had a verse memorized in both Swahili and English. It was surprising that the kids did not know the Swahili words but English! A few very reserved smiles were seen, so that was fun.
Good news- Our plane is here so I will share more adventures later. Best wishes, and goodbye in Swahili- lala salama. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment